The liner Tuscania was delivered to its owners, the Anchor Line, at the beginning of 1915 for the joint service with Cunard from Glasgow to New York via Liverpool. Its maiden voyage on 6 February of that year was on this route which it carried on for the rest of its career. In September 1915, it helped rescue passengers for the Greek Line's ship Athini which had caught fire in the Atlantic.
She first undertook trooping duties in September 1916, carrying Canadian troops from Halifax, Nova Scotia, to Liverpool. In August of the following year it brought 1,236 men of the 16th US Engineer Regiment from New York to Liverpool and two more successful voyages followed.