WASHINGTON, March 19, 2014 – The most significant findings of the Navy’s own investigation into security, personnel and contracting factors related to the last year’s Navy Yard killings involved the insider threat posed by the shooter, contractor Aaron Alexis, the Navy’s lead investigator said.
Click photo for screen-resolution image
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus discusses plans to implement changes following the Washington Navy Yard shooting investigations and reviews during a briefing at the Pentagon, March 18, 2014. During the Sept. 16, 2013, shooting, a civilian contractor killed 12 employees and wounded several others at the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters building before being killed by police. DOD photo by Erin A. Kirk-Cuomo
(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.
The same findings led to the conclusion that “if appropriate procedures had been followed, they would have interrupted the chain of events that led to the Washington Navy Yard shootings,” Navy Adm. John M. Richardson told American Forces Press Service during an interview yesterday.
Shortly after the tragic events that took place Sept. 16, 2013, at Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus appointed Richardson to lead an official investigation in accordance with the Judge Advocate General Manual, or JAGMAN, into the shooting incident that killed 12 people and wounded four others.
Richardson delivered the final report Nov. 8, 2013.